Saturday, April 18, 2009

How to Get Children to Remember

How many times have you heard something like this from your child: "I'm sorry, I forgot to _____"? Or, "I forgot I wasn't supposed to _____"?

A lot? Yes, me too. I came across the following helpful article on this subject at the No Greater Joy Ministries website. Read this...

If you are a parent, hundreds of times you have stood in front of a child and heard the excuse, “I forgot,” in a weak, singsong begging voice. That is when you need the wisdom of Solomon. He is only eight years old, and his life is full of stimulation and distractions. So you reason, “It is possible that he did forget; but on the other hand, how could he forget after two hundred consecutive days of my nagging, rebuking, and threatening him every one of those exasperating days?” You may even have tried spanking several times, until you began to feel guilty in the face of his apparent sincerity: “I just forgot, Mama, please, Mama, I forgot, I’m sorry, I won’t do it again… I mean, I will try to remember.”

How do you get kids to remember and to be thankful? The same way you get a 63-year-old man to remember to wash his oatmeal pan and bowl immediately after use....


Read the rest of the article for helpful suggestions at this link: How to Get Kids to Remember (by Michael Pearl)

0 comments: